Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 1.... Operation Kindergarten.

I said goodbye to three kids this year on the first day of school. Three.....not two. So needless to say an array of emotions swarmed around me as I walked to the van holding one little Andi hand and nothing else, feeling a little off balance.
This day has been counted down to for at least a year now maybe two. ( Sam can be quite a busy kid and as his teacher says..."he's all boy!") I found it very strange that I could not pinpoint one of the millions of things I told myself would be easier to do minus one crazy Sam. I waited for the haze to lift off my memory......nothing. So I reverted back to my usual schedule, to the Gym we went.
I walked Andi in and headed for the nursery keeping my peripheral vision scanning all angles to see when Sam would start exploring. Wait, I just left Sam at school. Hmmm... I am gonna have to get used to that. So I signed Andi in noticing I was the first to do so as usual, and turned to leave my cutie, she just stood there.... where's her Sam? What is there to do now without watching Sam get into everything and bringing her along for the ride. Not to mention being unable to take her eyes off his ever changing engagements. It's not that she was sad, she was when we left school, hence the outstretched arms and yelling "Saaaaaaaaammmm." No.....now she was just wondering what to do first. "Where to begin?" was written on her face. I walked over and kissed her on the forehead and said "have fun baby!" She looked at me and said in her sweet voice, "Bye Mommy," and went to work exploring her environment through her eyes.
The rest of my day turned into a blur that would hardly be writable let alone readable. We picked the kids up after school and spent the ride home listening to a melody of 'Sam kicking the back of Sadey's seat and smiling his impish grin' coupled with a rendition of 'how many different ways can everybody say or scream, Sam stop it!' It just didn't feel normal up until now. All was right with the world.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Sounds like a beautiful first day of school. I am so jealous y'all have already started school. Oh well only 4 more days! You're awesome. I knew you would have a great blog!

Carri said...

I'm so happy you have a blog! Yeah! More friends to read about. Your Sam and my Sam are completely cut from the same cloth. The kicking the chair and screaming on the way home is very familiar to me. It's usually on the way home from church, though. Julia's in kindergarten too, and my days are a blur without kids. Most days, I wonder what I have done to waste those seven hours. I'm still trying to figure that out...

Grandma Knick said...

What beautiful babies. They are so very lucky to have wonderful, patient parents. Long distance hugs come your way every day! Luv U

rara said...

Loved it, Sissy!! (also love first days of school YIPPEE lol)